I had a little break from blogging here and I blog my old thesis opening statement about my intention in that thesis. That thesis led me to belief in what I belief in now. I just need to do a little more thinking and when my cast if off...i'll do some sketching and modeling building to see where that idea will take me. I will also do a website and remake a book/portfolio of all my architecture work and how those work are supporting my idea. Since I post it at the build build blog...you guys might not looks at it. I'll repost it here so I can share it with you and kinda introduce you to the new and current short world of build-build...enjoy!
/.open.source.architecture
/.With the advancement of technology, a line of code or a pixel are being taken for granted. The honesty and charm of an 8-bit computer graphic is replaced with detailed 3-D rendering. The idea of abstract represenation is replaced with actual representaion. Digitality is replacing physicality.
/.Today, I see people relying on computers to perform physical tasks more than ever before. Drafting tables, pencils, and triangles are being replaced by AutoCAD. Digital models replace physical models. As a tool, I think computers are wonderful, but they lack that physical honesty a hand drafted drawing or a physical model can offer. There is no directionality in a line that is drawn on a screen. Process is absent in the digital world.
/.The evident of our existence is through artifacts which are the things we create. A building is an artifact, but so are the drawings and the design sketches. How much of what we create do we want to be digitalized in to zeros and ones store on a rigid rotating planar magnetic surface [aka hard drive]? Is that the artifact that we want to leave behind?
/.This thesis is an exploration in the process of making. It is a discovery of the self through self expression. In a world of mass-production, people rarely "make" to express the self. Art is becoming a commodity. In this thesis, I want to take a step back in order to understand the essence of making. I want people to be aware of the importance in expressing the self. It is not a rejection of technology but as a way to combine technology and self expression in creating.